Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Treasures from My Father

My sister Gail brought a treasure trove of pictures, slides letters, diplomas and writings that were my mother's...but mostly my father's writing and musings.

Edward S Onody
Edward S Onody was a character...one that you rarely see any more in this world.  He was a Renaissance man of sorts. He was definitely a product of his Hungarian Immigrant parents; a generation who toiled and learned how to live with little and being blessed with much.  Until I started reading my father's younger musings, when he was young and in love, starting a family, being sent off to war and dealing with family and life issues...I didn't realize until now that it was my father who was the romantic one of my parents.  It was my father who openly struggled and grappled with life’s growing pains, but all the while leaning on an ever present faith in God.

Here is the one of many Treasures my father left behind.  I found this list written on a bank deposit slip, front and back...he never wasted anything and always used bank deposit lists for his lists and notes.  This one, I believe, tells you a lot about a man that at the time that he wrote it, which was at my mother's and his final home at Loughberry Park in Saratoga...that he was a man who was looking over his life and jotting down his thoughts. To me, this list is what is missing in the men today...it is the foundation of what makes a Noble Man.

 I am Just Old Enough to Have remembered when…

Edward S Onody
 Former Superintendent of Oneonta Schools
  • You (get excited) run outside and tried to see the airplane whose engine you just heard approaching.
  • To have seen Charles Lindbergh in a parade in Buffalo and have him wave at me. (my father)
  • To have seen the Graf Zeppelin and The Shenandoah Zeppelins.
  • To have sat at night with my father as he worked his crystal set to get the first radio station WKDK.
  • To have seen a total eclipse of the sun.
  • To remember a telephone you had to crank to get the operator
  • When during a parade people put their hand over their heart and ALL men took off their hats
  • When men took off their hats when eating in a restaurant.
  • When Ladies first was a rule.
  • When men gave his seat to women and old folks on a street car or buses.

The list ends here...and I wonder what other wonderful thoughts he had on things.  My father was an amazing man...I have more to share from his Treasure Trove.  It has been almost 17 years since his passing, but his spirit is as strong today as when he was living.  This is man who quietly left a life legacy.



I miss you Dad!!  More Treasures to come...

The List

3 comments:

Lucy Ann Moll said...

Thank you, Amy. Your dad's list is a treasure of memories. May our great God continue to bless you, as I know he will. Eph. 1:3

Dick said...

Amy:
Thank you for this post. I have pages and pages of similar writings from my own father. He was by occupation an engineer, but in his heart he was a great philosopher and penned wonderful thoughts and life instructions to my brothers, sister and me . . . usually in the form of hand-written letters.
I believe he and your father would have had great discussions together.
You've been an inspiration to me as well. I have started my own blog:
http://thesixtysecondminute.blogspot.com/

shepherdess56 said...

Dick:

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Yes, I believe we were raised in a similar fashion...I have been amazed at all the wonderful things that my father wrote down, but at the same time...he LIVED! The man meant what he said and said what he meant...his actions spoke louder then his words in many cases. I am just lucky or blessed that he wrote them down also, so I might still learn from him, even after 17 years since his passing (September 8th, 1994 is the anniversary of his passing)I will be sharing more this month in Treasures of My Father's as his birthday was also September 11th.

Please feel free to join my followers here at the blog(on the right sidebar), as I have joined yours....looking forward to reading your journal. I also have a NEW Fan page at Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Amy-L-Harden/408518821256

BRAND NEW Mort Fertel Program

ChangeSOS

AWEsome Store