Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Doris Day -- Sentimental Journey



When I was growing up one of my favorite actresses was Doris Day.  I loved her movies, her TV show and her clean cut, down to earth, American Girl ways!  She was the epitome of who I wanted to be and she  stunningly beautiful to boot!!  


My first taste of Doris Day was seeing her in the movie "Calamity Jane",a rough a tumble country cow-gal, who finally finds her inner and outer beauty when she falls in love with the man of her dreams.  A cowgirl version of ugly duckling that turns into the swan.  I watched that movie over and over again...I could relate to the movie premise when I was a gawky pre-teen.


Complete Doris Day With Les BrownThen my father introduced me to her real roots...singing in Les Brown's Band with Doris Day as his lead singer. "Sentimental Journey" was her biggest hit with this Big Band Hit maker.


Doris Day has not always led the life that is portrayed in her many movies. Her real story was revealed in her autobiography "Doris Day: Her Own Story" (book is out of print but you can find it used)...This is a woman who has been rich, lost it all and come back from nothing. Doris Day is a survivor! 

That Touch of MinkMany folks only connect Doris Day to her leading men...Rock HudsonJames Garner, Brain Keith, Gordan McRae , Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Stewertand my favorite Cary Grant.  Here is a list of her movies and some of my favorites:

Doris Day Show Season 1But my favorite of all was her TV show...The Doris Day Show!  It was on for five seasons and you will learn from her autobiography that it was her hit TV series that brought her back from the brink of financial collapse after her husband, Marty Melcher, lost all of her fortune from her success in her early career.  Her show, along with a few movies and TV specials brought her back from financial ruin. It was cute little show with a "That Girl" California style flair.

If you would like to learn more about Doris Day...past and present...look no further then here at her website with everything Doris Day - Legendary Actress

Thank you Doris...for all the love and memories!!


Who was your favorite actress or actor and Why?!!





No comments:

BRAND NEW Mort Fertel Program

ChangeSOS

AWEsome Store